Attorney Sheridan T. Brown is committed to the practice of law as a public service. In addition to offering traditional legal services, his practice includes community relations with the goal of making all levels of government more accessible and responsive to constituents. In 2014, he was among recipients of the Union Leader Newspaper’s “40 Under Forty” award, which, as described by the paper, “recognizes some of the state’s brightest young achievers who have a record of professional and volunteer accomplishments in New Hampshire.”
Prior to entering legal practice, Attorney Brown served as a non-partisan aide to United States Senator John E. Sununu from 1999-2009. In that role, he handled a diverse portfolio of work that included environmental, healthcare, and federal grant support projects. Over the course of the past two decades, Brown has worked with numerous federal and state administrative agencies, municipalities, and nonprofit organizations in a wide variety of matters. In addition to interceding on behalf of entities and individuals to resolve regulatory issues with government agencies, he has helped secure millions of dollars in funding for community projects.
Attorney Brown brings broad experience to his legal practice, which includes a significant amount of pro bono work devoted to nonprofit organizations and conservation efforts. Brown has led successful New Hampshire advocacy efforts in support of major environmental legislation protecting the state’s wildlife from toxic lead (Pb) fishing tackle and safeguarding the state’s natural resources against an oil spill by improving inland preparedness measures. Brown’s work ranges from simple municipal approvals to complex regulatory issues involving the Clean Water Act, Oil Pollution Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and other federal laws.
- State of New Hampshire, 2008
- U.S. District Court for New Hampshire, 2008
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 2008
- U.S. District Court for Massachusetts, 2019
Affiliations & Volunteerism
- Town of Grantham, NH — Former Selectman, Conservation Commission Member, and Zoning Board Member.
- Grantham Bird Club — Founder
- Ausbon Sargent Land Preservation Trust — Trustee
- New Hampshire Wetlands Council — Former Elected Official Member (appointed by Governor Maggie Hassan, confirmed by Executive Council in 2016)
- New Hampshire Municipal Association — Former Member, Legislative Policy Committee for Infrastructure, Development, and Land Use
- Audubon Society of New Hampshire
- Policy Committee — Former Member
- Volunteer Threatened and Endangered Species Monitor since 2001.
- Golden Binocular Award for volunteerism, 2001.
- Led successful efforts twice, pro bono, to defeat New Hampshire legislation legalizing the taking of wild owls for falconry, 2012 & 2013.
- New Hampshire Bar Association — Member
- National Migratory Bird Conservation Commission — New Hampshire Delegate, 2006.
- Mountain Birdwatch — Volunteer Bicknell’s Thrush Monitor, White Mountain National Forest, 2005.
- Suffolk University Law School – Boston, MA
- Juris Doctor, cum laude, May 2008.
- Graduated in top ten of class.
- Journal of High Technology Law, Staff.
- Jurisprudence Award for Environmental Law.
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society
- University of New Hampshire ● Durham, NH
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science (Justice Studies Minor), cum laude, May 1999.